What Is PTC-R?
Parenting Through Change - Reunification (PTC-R)
When life transitions and hardships happen, families need support. The PTC-R group sessions will strengthen existing skills and teach new skills.
The goal of PTC-R is to build skills, give hope and to reunify the family.
This is an engaging, hands-on group for parents and other caregivers who have children in foster care and are seeking reunification.
PTC-R is an evidence-based program based on years of research and development of proven skills that help families and children during challenging transitions. The world tugs at parents and children in so many ways, including the trials and tribulations of reunification.
PTC-R Intervention Model
PTC-R is a two part program:
- PTC-R (Parenting Through Change Reunification)
- PTC-RH (Parenting Through Change Return Home)
In PTC-R parents learn new skills to increase effective parenting while the child is not in the home. Through participation in a 10-week group, parents practice skills during group and during parenting time.
Group facilitators provide a welcoming and safe environment for parents as they rebuild their families. Topics are presented in a step-by-step approach integrating and revisiting topics discussed throughout the 10 weekly sessions.
In PTC-RH, 6 individual sessions are provided to parents as reunification approaches or upon the child’s return home.
The family is seen individually for at least six weeks and the worker reviews relevant strategies and materials. Families learn additional skills to support and assist them in dealing with the changes and challenges that arise during the time of reunification. These skills focus on the strength of the parents and rebuilding the family.
PTC-R Session Outline
PTC-R Sessions (10 week group format)
- Creating Change The Change process begins by strengthening hope, identifying strengths and building on a better tomorrow.
- Encouraging Cooperation We will demonstrate how to increase your children’s cooperation and help them follow your directions.
- Teaching Positive Behavior (Child and Teen) You will learn how to break goals into small, achievable steps. Learning through encouragement sets children up for success.
- Observing Emotions We will explore the power of emotions and how they relate to family life as well as how to recognize our own emotions.
- Regulating Emotions You will learn techniques that will work for you to regulate emotions.
- Setting Limits (Child and Teen) We will help you find the correct balance of encouragement, discipline and setting limits on children’s behavior to keep them safe.
- Follow Through (Child and Teen) We will review and practice the Time Away procedure before you try it out. You will practice how to explain this effective strategy to children.
- Active Communication Relationships are nourished with good communication. We will demonstrate the use of active listening to engage in communication.
- Problem Solving All families have problems. We will introduce a tool to help families plan activities, manage conflicts and negotiate agreements.
- Putting It All Together We will show how to deal with differences in opinion. A life goal is to make sure you have a balance of work and play.
PTC-RH Session Outline
PTC-RH (Return Home) Sessions (6 week individual format)
- Building on Strengths PTC-R Review
- Encouraging Routines Incentive Charts
- Limit Setting and Encouragement Finding a Balance
- Promoting School Success Building Skills at Home, Communicating with Schools
- Keeping Our Family Safe Monitoring
- We’re In This Together Bridging Relationships
What Parents Are Saying
“I have learned that I’m not a bad parent and that it’s okay to set boundaries with my children.”
“Learning PTC-R has helped my husband and I come together as a team and support each other.”
“This is the first thing I ever completed other than getting my baby back and I am proud of that.”
“They broke it down and made it easy for me to use these skills with my daughter.”